Transportation and warehousing are two crucial aspects of the supply chain, but what’s often overlooked is the vital base that connects the two and ensures a smooth transition as freight is moved. We’re talking about the yard- where loading processes can make all the difference when it comes to saving time and money.
That’s where yard management services come in handy. In this blog post, we explain what this logistics service entails and how it impacts the supply chain as a whole. Let’s get started!
When freight flows in and out of a yard, distribution center, or warehouse, management is needed to ensure all activities to move the freight are implemented efficiently. Common yard management duties include:
- The scheduling and implementation of loading/unloading operations.
- Freight tracking and moving using supply chain management software.
- Organization of trucks in the yard.
With an effective yard management system in place, shippers can reduce costs and decrease the risk of delays. Here’s how:
1. Today, there are several digital platforms available to automate processes. This makes it easier and faster for yard staff to search inventory, manage appointments, and complete tasks. It also opens up communication across the supply chain for full visibility.
2. Since yard management increases visibility, shippers are able to easily monitor all operations and see what areas need attention and improvement to further cut costs and save time. Overall, your operations continue to evolve to ensure transportation success.
3. Safety is paramount when it comes to the supply chain, and a proper YMS can improve this greatly. Instead of relying on workers to manually walk around and check operations, yard trucks and security technology keeps a close eye on things, especially since all moves can be tracked from check-in to check-out.
Are you ready to see how our dedicated Yard Management Services can benefit your business? Fill out the online form and we'll be in touch shortly to answer all of your questions.